YOUR DRIVER GUIDE
Born in London, David has spent most of his career in the West Country in the world of English as a Foreign Language. As well as teaching, this included the roles of marketing manager for a group of language schools, and principal of a British Council-accredited school before he trained as a tourist guide.
He has travelled widely, including ten childhood years in the Caribbean, time teaching in Italy, and many trips to other parts of Europe including Scandinavia and the former East before the fall of the Berlin Wall. He has also visited parts of the Middle East, South and South East Asia, and Southern Africa. His wife is French, a language teacher, and their daughter is currently a university student of History of Art and Italian.
- First degree – BA (Hons) Geography
- Master’s degree – MSc Tourism Studies
- Teaching certificate – Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
- English as a Foreign Language teaching diploma – RSA Dip TEFL
TOURIST GUIDING QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
Member of the Institute of Tourist Guiding (ITG)
ITG Level 4 ‘Blue Badge’ regional tourist guiding qualification comprising a searching Background Knowledge examination, a tour planning project, written and practical guiding examinations on the South West region. Also ITG Windsor and Eton guiding ‘endorsement’ and ITG-qualified to guide in French and Italian.
Member of the Guild of Registered Tourist Guides (GRTG)
The GRTG is the national professional association of Blue Badge Tourist Guides with members in every part of Britain.
Member of the Driver Guides Association (DGA)
The DGA is a professional body formed in 1982 to maintain the highest standards of Blue Badge driver-guiding throughout the United Kingdom.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Blue Badge guides continue their professional development on an ongoing basis. Last winter (2010-11) David participated in events on Stonehenge, the Natural History, Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean museums in Oxford, the Bristol Blue Glass company, the National Trust village of Lacock, the city of Gloucester, and town of Devizes, as well as additional visits, reading and research. This winter he has successfully passed the ITG’s Windsor and Eton ‘endorsement’ course.
Public Liability Insurance for Tourist Guides
Covered under the Guild of Registered Tourist Guides’ collective members’ Public Liability Insurance policy for £5 million. The insurer is Amlin Insurance Services.
Private Hire Vehicle Insurance
Fully comprehensive private hire cover with Enterprise Insurance Company through Direct Chauffeur Line.
PRIVATE HIRE LICENCES
Licensing authority – Bath & North East Somerset (B&NES) Council
Licensed to driver a private hire vehicle, license number 276, includes a medical examination and Criminal Records Bureau check.
Licensed to carry up to 6 passengers. Vehicle age and condition approved, additional safety modifications made to vehicle, regular servicing required, regular vehicle inspection.
Licenced to take bookings direct from the public.
Ford Galaxy 2.0 Ghia 7-seater MPV offering a good blend of comfort and practicality.
Additional features and facilities
- Touch-screen SatNav – gives back-up with directions
- Climate control – allows conditions to be attuned to your needs
- Leather seats – smart passenger seats for all passengers
- Privacy glass – keeps you and your luggage out of view from outside without affecting your view out (not front seat passenger)
- Panoramic roof – enhances your ability to see and enjoy your surroundings, especially in towns and cities
- On-board reference materials – books and maps are kept in the vehicle for reference, including a place names dictionary
- Six passenger seats – normally, but four only available when carrying luggage
- Children’s seats – appropriate car seats supplied but please place your request for correct age-, height- and weight-appropriate child seats at the time of booking.
West Country Driver Guide Tours is committed to striving for ever-higher standards of responsible tourism.
Once a year, using Climate Care‘s carbon calculator, our year’s touring mileage is added up and the recommended amount paid to offset our carbon footprint
In fiscal year 2012-13 we also plan to support the Keep Britain Tidy environmental charity.